Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Starry Sky... the Big Dipper


Was out on my road one night recently, thought I saw some sweeping shadows and light... didn't get anything on the camera that was useful, or even vaguely interesting... well a touch interesting, but not for showing off.
So, turned the camera almost straight up and hoped I was pointed in the right direction for the Big Dipper. One shot later, the only one I took, at 60 sec exposure... and had to brighten a bit on the computer... I have the Big Dipper! Sweet!
Something else I noticed, and not sure if you can see it in the larger image or not, but just above the last star of the handle, there is a galaxy...you can see the swirl of it.
And yes, the Big Dipper is upside down, but hey, go outside these days in the late evening, face north, and its upside down. No sense flipping it around just to make it easier to see.

No comments: