Sunday, February 1, 2009

Two on One


Now how is that fair...??
well, ok...I guess it's game situation practice...
and I'm not a big hockey fan, but after sitting at the curling arena since 1230 pm (and it was like 930 at night while I was taking these)....boredom kicking in...
Thanks Bob for kicking my ass into gear. Outside sucked....inside was better! but the camera battery calved on me, and I didn't have anything else with me...so got off about 40 or so shots of these guys in practice.
Not sure if I was appreciated or not, cause I had at least one puck flung at me. It hit the glass in front of me, suprised me but didn't do any damage....
at least I had thier attention! And no, Bob, I'm not yelling at them! I don't wanna get hurt! LOL
Have been getting slack in picture taking lately. Not enough free time and feeling the limits of my wee 'point and shoot' too. (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07)
But flipped it onto Normal pic mode(I shoot lots in Sport mode to capture the crisp pic), adjusted the aperture(my cam calls it exposure), set the shutter speed on 1 sec (its shortest is 1/8 sec by default) and rested the cam on the rail. (tripod at home too)
and shooting thru the glass...so PLEASE forgive the quality...it sucks, I know!
but still, was fun, got some neat 'speed' pics..which I wasn't sure would work, but did...well, sort of.
hmmmmm
got the shot, now I gotta figure out how to get it better right?
cheers!
and did I say thanks Bob!!

2 comments:

John Mielke Photography said...

If you wanted to show motion, then "mission accomplished!"

If you were hoping to freeze the action then you moved your shutter the wrong way.

Don't know if your Lumix has 'A' mode and 'S' mode (sometimes noted as "Tv" and "Av", ('S' or 'Tv" = shutter priority and 'A' or 'Av' = Aperture priority mode) but in to freeze the action you want the shutter to click as quickly as possible... 1/1000 of a second would be nice... but really nothing slower than 1/250. Even at 1/250 you'll see some motion in sports. When you choose 'S/Tv' then you control the shutter speed and the camera automatically adjusts the aperture in order to get the correct exposure. In 'A/Av' you control the aperture (aperture = the amount of light allowed onto your sensor... it also determines how much of your photo is in focus) and the camera automatically pics the shutter speed. For sports, choose 'S/Tv' mode and set it freeze the action at fraction of a second.

Another fun approach is to blurr the background but keep the player in focus! You do this by using a longer shutter speed and carefully panning your camera with the hockey player. As you're panning, you click the shutter while you continue to pan the camera. Don't stop panning until your camera isn't making any more noise. This way, the player remains in focus, but just the background blurrs... this method REALLY shows motion, and it also makes the player you focued on the prime subject of your photo.

By the way, my Word Verfication is "Scrupro." Screw Pro huh? LOL

Melissa Weisbard said...

I had been so busy that I didn't have time to take any photos. I had been praying for snow because I was tired of taking photos of dead trees. Well, God answered my prayers because we got loads of snow and ice. Since the roads were too treacherous to get to work, I spent several hours outdoors taking photos of the snow and ice. It was glorious! I felt refreshed. I'll have to discipline myself to make time for my real passion, which is photography.